The New Testament sets forth five different love affairs that we can have in this world. Which of these four seem to allure us away the most from a love for our Lord?
- Love of self (2 Timothy 3:2).
- Love of money (2 Timothy 3:2, 1 Timothy 6:10).
- Love of pleasure (2 Timothy 3:4).
- Love of the world (1 John 2:15-16).
- Love of God (2 Timothy 3:4)
Part of the consequences of the Fall is that our affections and desires are disordered so we are prone to love things and use people. We attempt to find our security, satisfaction, and significance through people and things. On this Maundy Thursday, let us pray that the Holy Spirit would show us the unconditional, sacrificial love of the Lord Jesus Christ so that we might love one another just as He has loved us.