These lessons come from the last verses in Paul’s great letter to the church in Ephesus.
After twenty years of ministry experience…
- He believed in the necessity of intercessory prayer for ministry effectiveness and fruitfulness (v.18-19a –praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,and also for me...”).
- He believed that ministry effectiveness and fruitfulness centered on communicating the gospel clearly and boldly (v. 19b – “that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel”).
- He believed in the necessity of the Holy Spirit’s illumination and empowerment (v. 19 – “words may be given me”).
- He believed in ministry partnerships (Friends praying for him and he for them.)
- He believed in missional living in the midst of adverse circumstances (v. 20 – “an ambassador in chains”).
- He believed that cowardly compromise was a persistent threat to his mission. Thus, fearless and bold communication of the gospel was imperative (v. 19&20 – “opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak”).