A Prayer Guide…
1 I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart;
before the gods I sing your praise;
2 I bow down toward your holy temple
and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness,
for you have exalted above all things
your name and your word.
3 On the day I called, you answered me;
my strength of soul you increased.
4 All the kings of the earth shall give you thanks, O Lord,
for they have heard the words of your mouth,
5 and they shall sing of the ways of the Lord,
for great is the glory of the Lord.
6 For though the Lord is high, he regards the lowly,
but the haughty he knows from afar.
7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve my life;
stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies,
and your right hand delivers me.
8 The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me;
your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.
Do not forsake the work of your hands.
What am I to do?
Worship and call upon the Lord. What does the text say?
Give thanks…sing His praise…bow down…
Who do I call upon?
- The LORD – the personal God who keeps covenant with His people.
- The God who is steadfast/loyal in His love for his people (vv.2,8).
- The God who is ever faithful to His people and who exalts His name and His word above all things.
- The LORD who from His lofty and exalted position takes notice of those who are humble but distances himself from the proud and haughty.
- The LORD who does not forsake the work of His hands.
How do I call upon Him?
- With my whole heart…singing praise and offering thanks (vv.1,2,4).
- With humility of heart – Verse 6 – “For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly, but the haughty he knows from afar.”
Why do I call upon the LORD?
- He answers me (v.3).
- He preserves my life while I am in the midst of trouble by delivering me from my enemies (v.7).
- He will fulfill His purpose for me (v.8).