This coming Sunday we celebrate an important event in redemptive history… the time when Jesus sent the “other helper” who would live within us and empower us for service.
- Almighty Father we come to you in the blessed name of our Savior Jesus Christ. You have been sending your Spirit for a long time. You sent your Spirit upon Jesus at his baptism in the Jordan River. You sent your Spirit upon the disciples in the upper room. We ask you now to fill us with your Spirit,
- We thank you for the power of your Holy Spirit and ask that we may be strengthened to serve you in a manner worthy of you. We acknowledge to you our weakness and weariness.
- We thank you for the wisdom of your Holy Spirit. May He fill us with a greater knowledge of Your will with insight and wisdom.
- We thank you for the peace of your Holy Spirit and ask that He might cause us to flourish in every dimension of our lives. Especially keep us confident of your love wherever you call us.
- We thank you for the healing of your Holy Spirit and ask you to bring reconciliation and wholeness where there is division, discord, sickness, and sorrow.
- We thank you for the gifts of your Holy Spirit and we ask you to equip us for the tasks that you have assigned us.
- We thank you for the fruit of your Holy Spirit and ask you to ensure that the love of Jesus governs all of our relationships.
- We thank you for the Holy Spirit given on Pentecost. We ask you to breathe upon your church the joy of eternal life. Blow out the dust of sin in our lives and, in your mercy, fill us anew with Yourself. Make us one in heart and mind to serve you for Jesus’ sake, Amen.
– A prayer adapted from The Worship Sourcebook, p. 706.