One of the biblical antidotes for despair is actively calling to mind the goodness of the Lord in our lives. This is what King David did in Psalm 27:13.
“I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.”
Seeing means to savor and actively call to mind His goodness. May the Lord give us grace today to enjoy these special evidences of His goodness and may He increase our faith in Him amidst our battle against despair.
In what ways has the Lord demonstrated His goodness in our lives?
His providential goodness in supplying all necessities and delivering us out of the hands of all our spiritual enemies.
His special goodness is seen in the following ways.
- His covenant
- His son our Savior
- All spiritual blessings in Christ
- His supports under afflictions
- Views of pardoning grace under a sense of sin
- Strength against Satan’s temptations
- Deliverance out of them
- Discoveries of the love of God
- The restored light of his countenance after times of spiritual dryness and desertion
- Divine refreshments of His house
- His Word and ordinances
- The glories of the world to come