Who is like You O LORD?
You are a shield about Your people (3:3).
You answer the prayers of Your people when they cry aloud to You (3:4).
You sustain Your people when they sleep and when they rise (3:5).
You are the LORD to whom salvation belongs (3:8).
You are a God who gives relief to those who in distress (4:1).
You are the LORD who sets apart the godly for Yourself (4:3).
You are the LORD who “lifts up the light of Your face upon us” (4:6).
You are a God who puts joy into the hearts of Your people (4:7).
You are the LORD who causes Your people to “dwell in safety” and to rest peacefully (4:8).
You do not delight in wickedness (5:4).
You are abundant in “your steadfast love” for Your people which enables and invites us to worship You (5:7).
You lead Your people in Your righteousness and make our way straight (5:8).
You spread Your protection over Your people and cover them with Your favor (5:11,12).
Would you delight to show Yourself strong and mighty in these ways for all of your children today! AMEN.
Psalm 2 – The nations that rage will become the inheritance of the Messiah (vv. 1,8).
Father, you have given to Jesus the ends of the earth as His possession.
He declares, “All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth.”
“There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Jesus Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry, Mine!’ (Abraham Kuyper)
Since the ends of the earth are your possession, you have called us to be your witnesses “even to the ends (remotest parts) of the earth” (Acts 1:8).
I pray that you would supernaturally cause a mass conversion of Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Shintoists, animists, atheists, and agnostics
to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Have mercy upon them, open blind eyes like you did long ago,
pour the wine of your love and Word on calloused, stony hearts.
May a great in-gathering of souls take place in our lifetime
as people devotedly kiss Your Son as Savior (Psalm 2:11),
as young people throughout the world
“serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling” (v.11)
as they contemplate you as a loving Savior,
but also as a just judge
who will come with “a rod of iron”
and break those who have refused to kiss you
as the only Savior of sinners. AMEN.
Prayer of Preparation
In this new year O Lord, grant us a renewed hunger and delight in Your Word.
So move in our hearts that we delight to do what You command.
Free us from finding our happiness and well-being in created things so that we might find You our greatest treasure.
Adoration: Praise God for Who He Is
- We praise You, O Lord, that you are in the business of transforming hearts so that we can think, behave, and belong in a way that pleases You and brings us good.
- We praise you for your willingness to share with us your wisdom and your Word.
- We adore you for changing the desires of our hearts so that we might find you our greatest delight.
Confession: Acknowledge and Turn from Your Sin
- Forgive me for the ways that I have conformed to the world in departing from you by accepting the world’s advice, being party to its ways, and adopting its most fatal of its attitudes – scoffing.
- Pardon me for allowing worldly values and thinking to shape my life and decisions.
- Forgive me for all the ways that I have thought that true fulfillment and happiness could be found apart from you and your Word.
Thanksgiving: Express Gratitude to God for His Works and Ways
- Thank you Father that you have freed me from judgment, collapse and expulsion from your presence because of the Cross of Jesus.
- Thank you Father that Jesus is the only, truly blessed man who always delighted to obey you and never failed in delighting in your law. Thank you for his perfect obedience to your law for us.
- Thank you that you care about and identify with us, your people, and you call us the congregation of the righteous – acceptable in your sight because of what Jesus has done not us.
- Thank you for imputing to us the righteousness of Christ by faith alone, and now you grant us power to work out in our lives what you have worked in us.
Supplication: Ask God to Meet Your Spiritual and Physical Needs
- Lord, please give me a greater delight in you and your Word. May it be reflected in an established, guarded rhythm of spending time with you in your word.
- Grant that I might discern and reject unbiblical, worldly patterns of thinking and living so that you might receive greater glory from my life and ministry.
- Lord, would you be pleased to prosper our work for you in this new year?
Consecration: Commit to Obey God’s Will
- In 2019, I will regularly meditate on God’s Word using the Psalms and a Read through the Bible in a year plan.
- In my reading and studying, I will endeavor to focus more on what Christ has done in order to increase my delight in Him and His Word instead of focusing on what I must do.
Intercession: Asking God to Meet the Needs of Others
- So work by your Spirit in the lives of Scottie and the kids that they become discerning, fruitful, mature, stable, flourishing, and godly men and women.
- So work in their lives that they recognize and reject worldly thinking and living so that their lives might conform more to your character.
- Grant your Spirit in full measure to the leaders of our church so that they might think deeply about your Word and will and become fruitful and effective in building your church and extending your kingdom in the world.
- Make them people of substance who are rooted deeply in your Word and useful in your kingdom service.
- Free them from the curse of the counsel of the wicked, the path of sinners and the seat of scoffers.
- Grant all of them your wisdom to lead and serve well.
- Overwhelm them with their personal inadequacies for the task at hand so that they might seek and find you.
- Give them your wisdom from above that is peaceable (see James 4). Bring our divided country together O Lord, break down the walls of hostility.
All this we pray in the great name of our Savior, Jesus Christ the Lord.
Some of you have asked recently about how to access online my dissertation I wrote on Recovering One of the Lost Tools of Christianity Spirituality: Praying the Psalms It can be downloaded by clicking on the above link. Chapters one and eight are the chapters most frequently downloaded.
In recent days, several wonderful devotional books have been written on the Psalms. One notable example that I am presenting using is Tim and Kathy Keller’s, The Songs of Jesus: A Year of Daily Devotions in the Psalms. I cannot too highly recommend this resource.
Below is a link of my own thesis I wrote a few years back on how to pray the Psalms. What I have learned has been a huge blessing in my own life and ministry and I hope it will be for you. I jokingly encourage folks that, if that have insomnia, that this book will serve as a cure. Seriously, I encourage folks who are interesting in this study to start by reading chapters 1 and 8 before diving into the other chapters.
All eight chapters of my thesis on Recovering One of the Lost Tools of Christianity Spirituality: Praying the Psalms may be downloaded by clicking on this link.