Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.
4 The wicked are not so,
but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
6 for the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.
Prayer of Preparation
O Lord, grant us a renewed hunger and delight in Your Word.
So move in our hearts that we delight to do what You command.
Free us from finding our happiness and well-being in created things so that we might find You our greatest treasure.
Adoration: Praise God for Who He Is
- We praise You, O Lord, that you are in the business of transforming hearts so that we can think, behave, and belong in a way that pleases You and brings us good.
- We praise you for your willingness to share with us your wisdom and your Word.
- We adore you for changing the desires of our hearts so that we might find you our greatest delight.
Confession: Acknowledge and Turn from Your Sin
- Forgive me for the ways that I have conformed to the world in departing from you by accepting the world’s advice, being party to its ways, and adopting its most fatal of its attitudes – scoffing.
- Pardon me for allowing worldly values and thinking to shape my life and decisions.
- Forgive me for all the ways that I have thought that true fulfillment and happiness could be found apart from you and your Word.
Thanksgiving: Express Gratitude to God for His Works and Ways
- Thank you Father that you have freed me from judgment, collapse and expulsion from your presence because of the Cross of Jesus.
- Thank you Father that Jesus is the only, truly blessed man who always delighted to obey you and never failed in delighting in your law. Thank you for his perfect obedience to your law for us.
- Thank you that you care about and identify with us, your people, and you call us the congregation of the righteous – acceptable in your sight because of what Jesus has done not us.
- Thank you for imputing to us the righteousness of Christ by faith alone, and now you grant us power to work out in our lives what you have worked in us.
Supplication: Ask God to Meet Your Spiritual and Physical Needs
- Lord, please give me a greater delight in you and your Word. May it be reflected in an established, guarded rhythm of spending time with you in your Word.
- Grant that I might discern and reject unbiblical, worldly patterns of thinking and living so that you might receive greater glory from my life and ministry.
- Lord, would you be pleased to prosper our work for you in this season of life?
Consecration: Commit to Obey God’s Will
- Grant me the resolve and grace to regularly meditate on God’s Word using the Psalms and a Read through the Bible in a year plan.
- In my reading and studying, help me to focus more on what Christ has done in order to increase my delight in Him and His Word instead of focusing on what I must do.
Intercession: Asking God to Meet the Needs of Others
- So work by your Spirit in the lives of Scottie and the kids that they become discerning, fruitful, mature, stable, flourishing, and godly men and women.
- So work in their lives that they recognize and reject worldly thinking and living so that their lives might conform more to your character.
- Grant your Spirit in full measure to the leaders of our church so that they might think deeply about your Word and will and become fruitful and effective in building your church and extending your kingdom in the world.
- Make them people of substance who are rooted deeply in your Word and useful in your kingdom service.
- Free them from the curse of the counsel of the wicked, the path of sinners and the seat of scoffers.
- Grant all of them your wisdom to lead and serve well.
- Overwhelm them with their personal inadequacies for the task at hand so that they might seek and find you.
- Give them your wisdom from above that is peaceable (see James 4). Bring our divided country together O Lord, break down the walls of hostility.
All this we pray in the great name of our Savior, Jesus Christ the Lord.