It is the mission of the church of the Lord Jesus Christ to develop devoted followers of our Savior, but what are the distinguishing marks of this type of person? A devoted follower of Jesus…
1. Enjoys God in worship – EVERY MEMBER A MODEL
- Participates regularly in worshipping the Lord with the Lord’s people on the Lord’s Day.
- Engages in personal and/or family worship (if applicable) during the week.
- Lives with an attitude of worship that permeates all of life.
2. Engages with God’s Word through personal reading and prayer – A MODEL
- Has a meaningful, consistent devotional life.
- Finds his/her way around the Bible.
- Has the ability to explain to others the basic tenets of Christianity and the gospel.
3. Lives by God’s promises (Assurance of …salvation, answered prayer, victory over temptation, forgiveness, guidance) – A MODEL
- Preaches the gospel to himself/herself meaningfully and effectively.
- Experiences the fruit of the Spirit.
- Finds joy, energy, confidence, & security in the love of God.
4. Applies the gospel of grace in relationships – EVERY MEMBER A MINISTER
- Loves and accepts people.
- Resolves conflict with others (Matthew 5:23-24; 18:15-20).
- Reaches out beyond his/her comfort zone to those who need love and care.
5. Invests time and energy in a small group – A MINISTER
- Participates actively in a discipleship or community group.
- Helps his/her group experience authentic community.
- Serves the group in some tangible way.
6. Fulfills his/her church membership vows – A MINISTER
- Lives as becomes a follower of Christ throughout the week.
- Supports our church in its worship and work to the best of his/her ability.
- Submits to the government and discipline of the church.
7. Exercises his/her gifts and passions in all of life – A MINISTER
- Knows his/her strengths and weaknesses.
- Serves in at least one area in the church and/or community.
- Recognizes that all of life is spiritual and engages all aspects from a kingdom perspective.
8. Practices biblical principles of financial stewardship – A MANAGER
- Lives on a realistic budget.
- Gives generously and sacrificially to the church and other venues.
- Sees all his/her resources as God’s, to be used for extending Christ’s kingdom.
9. Shares his/her faith in word and deed in one’s sphere of influence – MESSENGER
- Demonstrates that neighborhood, school, workplace and the world is his/her mission field.
- Prays for and shares Christ with specific people.
- “Invests in and invites” people to our church.
– Adapted from friends at University Presbyterian Church in Oviedo, FL.