Both for perplexity and for dulled conscience
the remedy is the same;
sincere and spiritual worship.
For worship is
- the submission of all our nature to God.
- It is the quickening of conscience by His holiness;
- the nourishment of mind with His truth;
- the purifying of imagination by His beauty;
- the opening of the heart to His love;
- the surrender of will to His purpose —
and all of this gathered up in adoration,
the most selfless emotion of which our nature is
capable and therefore the chief remedy
for that self-centeredness
which is our original sin
and the source of all actual sin.
Yes — worship in spirit and truth
is the way to the solution of perplexity
and to the liberation from sin.
—William Temple, Readings in St. John’s Gospel, 1939.