According to the Scriptures, there are seven evils from which we need deliverance: Disciples saw Jesus praying, and noticed the great difference between His prayers and theirs, so they requested to be taught how to pray. He alone can deliver us from evil. Said he to Moses: “I am come down to deliver them,” i.e., Israel. So deeply sunk are we in the mire of sin that only He can lift us out.
“Deliver us from evil.” What evils? There are seven from which to be delivered:
- An Evil Conscience. By Blood of Christ (Heb. 10:22).
- An Evil Heart of Unbelief. By Regeneration, by being genuinely born anew by the power of the Holy Spirit (Heb. 3:12).
- Evil Speaking-Slander. By filling our hearts with such love that will lead us to cover other people’s sins (Eph. 4:31). By setting a watch before our mouths, and keeping the door of our lips (Psalm 141:3).
- Evil/Bad Company. By keeping company and building friendships with people who will push me towards Christ and a lifestyle that pleases him (1 Cor. 15:33; Proverbs 27:17).
- Every Evil Work, every evil intention, and plot of the devil and his emissaries (2 Tim. 4:18), by God’s loving Providence.
- All Appearance of Evil. By a spirit of great carefulness (1 Thess. 5:22). Observe, not merely evil, but that which may not be evil to us, yet would appear to be so to others.
- A Present Evil World. When He comes for us (Gal. 1:4), He will save us now from the world, by taking the world out of our hearts. By and by He will take us home to His glorious Home on High.
Of all the things you need today, move praying for yourself and those you love to be delivered from evil to the top of your list!
- Adapted from Smith, J., & Lee, R. (1971). Handfuls on Purpose for Christian Workers and Bible Students, Series I–XIII (five-volume edition, Vol. 12, pp. 260–261). Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.